Thursday 14 February 2013

Your Loving Valentine

By: Mary Beth Wighton, Person with Dementia
February 9th, 2013

St. Valentine's Day is one of my favourite holidays.  I am not the roses and chocolate type of girl, but rather homemade cards, and a special dinner at home.

In our home, the feeling of love intensifies as February 14th draws near.  Because of my fondness for traditions, I also have one for this marked day of love.  Every year, I make my Valentine a homemade card professing my love.  It is a tradition that My Girls have greatly enjoyed for the last 10 years. 

My brother Mark, has been making homemade Valentine cards for his Valentine, Mary Anne, for over 20 years.  Mary Anne, proudly displays these works of art, days before the big event.  I'm always amazed at my brothers' talent, as every year he produces a new unique card.  It is from him, that I have borrowed this idea.

Dawn keeps her Valentine Day cards, from me, in a special envelope.  When you look at them, they are a reflection of our 10 year relationship.  Depending on the year, you may find a serious or funny card.  Some of my cards are very creative, whilst others not so much.

I have five days to create my card for this year.  I have purchased some necessary art supplies.  I have begun to think about possible ideas for this card.  I believe this year, will be more of a serious one, once again professing my love and devotion.  But, we'll see how it all turns out on the Day.

I am very happy to say that Brianna has now adopted this tradition of card making.  Her young man of her choosing, is graced with a beautiful card made by her.  I love it!

A few years ago, my Mom showed me a homemade card made by her Aunt Evelyne.  It was to her and her younger brother Ron.  It obviously meant a lot, as my Mom still has the card some 70 years later.  Below is a copy of this card.


It is important to often express our love for each other.  This does not mean our expression of love is only limited to our significant others. Since I have been diagnosed with Frontotemporal Lobe Dementia (FTD), I have told more people I love them then any time during my life.  I don't want them to take it for granted.

Team Dementia – I love you.  Happy Valentines Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...